From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Pipewire not a dependency?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 16:56:49
1 On Saturday, 1 October 2022 15:57:03 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 7:51 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 1 October 2022 15:08:40 BST Michael wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday, 29 September 2022 15:11:02 BST Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > > > On 28/09/2022 13:57, Michael wrote:
6 > > > > > I'm trying to understand why one laptop with Plasma which had
7 > >
8 > > pulseaudio
9 > >
10 > > > > > removed, won't bring in pipewire as a dependency. I have set USE="-
11 > > > > > screencast", because I don't need/want this functionality, as I have
12 > > > > > done
13 > > > > > on other systems which nevertheless have had pipewire brought in as
14 >
15 > a
16 >
17 > > > > > dependency.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > Probably some other package pulls it in directly, independent of the
20 > > > > screencast USE flag. For example media-sound/easyeffects.
21 > > >
22 > > > I just looked and a pipewire(d) system has only a few additional audio
23 > > > applications, spek, vidcutter, easytag, none of which seem to bring in
24 > > > pipewire. I think I'll have to install it manually on the system which
25 > > > doesn't bring it in as some dependency. Somehow I was under the
26 >
27 > impression
28 >
29 > > > it comes with Plasma these days, but perhaps I have stripped down this
30 > > > Plasma/kde installation too much.
31 > >
32 > > I have no pipewire on this fairly standard Plasma box.
33 >
34 > I believe that pipewire, as far as KDE users are concerned, is a
35 > distro choice about when to use it.
36 >
37 > My Kubuntu boxes started using it recently. I had no issues and
38 > didn't need to change any settings for any application that makes
39 > use of sound.
40 >
41 > YMMV,
42 > Mark
43
44 Thank you all for your responses. It could be some Plasma/KDE USE flag which
45 differs between my systems causing this. Without spending a lot of time I
46 wouldn't know for sure TBH.
47
48 Anyway, I ventured into pipewire because I wanted to see if Skype would work
49 without pulseaudio and in this system it won't. After I manually installed
50 pipewire Skype won't access the microphone. :-(
51
52 Re-enabling pulseaudio wants to rebuild some 30 packages including
53 qtwebengine. That's an overnight job on this old laptop.