From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Pipewire not a dependency?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 14:57:24
1 On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 7:51 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday, 1 October 2022 15:08:40 BST Michael wrote:
4 > > On Thursday, 29 September 2022 15:11:02 BST Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > > On 28/09/2022 13:57, Michael wrote:
6 > > > > I'm trying to understand why one laptop with Plasma which had
7 > pulseaudio
8 > > > > removed, won't bring in pipewire as a dependency. I have set USE="-
9 > > > > screencast", because I don't need/want this functionality, as I have
10 > > > > done
11 > > > > on other systems which nevertheless have had pipewire brought in as
12 a
13 > > > > dependency.
14 > > >
15 > > > Probably some other package pulls it in directly, independent of the
16 > > > screencast USE flag. For example media-sound/easyeffects.
17 > >
18 > > I just looked and a pipewire(d) system has only a few additional audio
19 > > applications, spek, vidcutter, easytag, none of which seem to bring in
20 > > pipewire. I think I'll have to install it manually on the system which
21 > > doesn't bring it in as some dependency. Somehow I was under the
22 impression
23 > > it comes with Plasma these days, but perhaps I have stripped down this
24 > > Plasma/kde installation too much.
25 >
26 > I have no pipewire on this fairly standard Plasma box.
29 I believe that pipewire, as far as KDE users are concerned, is a
30 distro choice about when to use it.
31
32 My Kubuntu boxes started using it recently. I had no issues and
33 didn't need to change any settings for any application that makes
34 use of sound.
35
36 YMMV,
37 Mark