From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Testing new kernels - saving dumps / strip down kernel options
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:16:03
1 I recently pulled in the vanilla linux-kernel-sources via git and
2 compiled my own "daily" kernel to simply test things on my thinkpad.
3
4 I get kernel crashes and would like to report them back upstream somewhere.
5
6 * to store the crash messages:
7
8 Is this still the way to go?
9
10 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps
11
12 Any other method recommended?
13
14 * should the reports go straight to the lkml-mailinglist?
15
16 I feel kind of misplaced there, plain stupid user amongst all those
17 kernel-devs ;-)
18
19 * I remember a thread here where this was discussed already:
20
21 How do you guys get to your .config for a recent kernel? "make
22 oldconfig" doesn't always work out best, I recall?
23
24 My kernel config is maintained along for years now and has survived
25 several hardware changes. I don't have any obvious problems but I wonder
26 if I have something in there that is deprecated and might be better
27 thrown out.
28
29 Does it make sense to take the .config from the gentoo install dvd for
30 example and remove all the stuff I don't have? Maybe still too much
31 enabled options in the end.
32
33 "make allnoconfig" as a start?
34