From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 17:15:11
1 On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 04:50:15PM +0000, mcatudal@×××××××.net wrote:
4 > ----- Mail original -----
5
6 > >It's not a bug, and it won't be "fixed". Installing on a partition is
7 > >simply not supported.
8
9 > When a needed functionality is no longer working it is a bug. To have
10 > grub installing itself on the MBR when the users doesn't it to is
11 > unacceptable because it wipes out the part that loads the bootloader so
12 > booting to other operating systems (OS/2, PC Dos, Ecomstation, etc) is
13 > no longer possible with a nice bootloader, we are then stuck with grub
14 > which is a pain in the ass to setup.
15
16 > I want to use grub only for the current Linux that I boot on.
17
18 > The maintainers of grub are basically acting like dictators much like
19 > Microsoft. The whole point of using Linux was to have complete control
20 > of the PC. Who those morons think they are to tell me what I should use
21 > to boot Operating systems on my computer?
22
23 Just to point out that the unparliamentary language is not going to
24 contribute towards any solution. For all we know, some of the relevant
25 maintainers might be Gentoo users subscribed to this list, and slagging
26 them off isn't helpful.
27
28 There might well be good reasons for the restriction. Discovering what
29 they are is more likely to point towards a positive resolution.
30
31 > Michel
34 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).