From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why I can't I build systemd without ipv6?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 18:34:41
1 On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I switched ISPs a couple months back and have been struggling with
3 > networking issues (not LAN, just WAN.)
4 >
5 > I have discovered that something is broken with my ISP's ipv6 support, every
6 > time I go to a website there's a 10-second delay. When syncing portage today
7 > I saw what the delay is: apparently it tries ipv6 twice, fails, then resorts
8 > to ipv4 which works fine.
9 >
10 > Most of my systems now have ipv6 support removed, and viola! no more delays.
11 >
12 > Except for the three systems I have that run systemd. I went in the kernel
13 > config to disable ipv6, and it won't let me - looking at the dependency
14 > list, it's systemd blocking this.
15 >
16 > So *why* on earth is it a dependency when (from what I've been reading after
17 > discovering this) many ISPs don't seem to support it properly yet?
18 >
19 > And is there a way to build systemd without ipv6? Or am I going to have to
20 > revert these three systems back to openrc?
21
22 Instead of stripping IPv6 out of your kernel, I would suggest that you
23 simply disable it on any network interfaces. How you do this would
24 depend on the method you use to manager your network config.
25
26 If you really want to remove IPv6 from your kernel, simply disable the
27 GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD config option, and enable the other other
28 dependencies manually.
29
30 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/linux-patches.git/tree/4567_distro-Gentoo-Kconfig.patch#n106