From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fstab and cdrom question
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 23:18:22
1 I'm on the train so its hard to check the man pages but can't you use
2 udevtrigger or a similar tool so rebooting isn't required?
3
4 On 12/17/09, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
5 > On 12/17/2009 08:42 PM, Denis wrote:
6 >> Hello folks,
7 >>
8 >> Quick question.
9 >>
10 >> My main HD is SATA and gets /dev/sda in fstab. My CDROM, which is the
11 >> only device on the IDE bus, seems to be /dev/hda. That's what
12 >> Audacious declared when it was looking for a CD to play. I had CDROM
13 >> device forced to /dev/cdrom in Audacious, unwittingly, before and was
14 >> wondering why my CDs were not playing! However, my fstab is still
15 >> "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user
16 >> 0 0" - so should I switch this to /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom?
17 >> If so, should some link be made to /dev/cdrom, if other programs may
18 >> be querying /dev/cdrom for the sake of Linux standard convention, or
19 >> is /dev/cdrom already a link, which was broken in my case?
20 >>
21 >> Thank you,
22 >> Denis
23 >
24 > You don't need an fstab entry at all. These days, when you insert a CD,
25 > it will get mounted automatically and appear in /media, just like USB
26 > storage devices.
32 Sent from my mobile device
35 Kyle