From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: fstab and cdrom question
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:10:37
1 On 12/17/2009 08:42 PM, Denis wrote:
2 > Hello folks,
3 >
4 > Quick question.
5 >
6 > My main HD is SATA and gets /dev/sda in fstab. My CDROM, which is the
7 > only device on the IDE bus, seems to be /dev/hda. That's what
8 > Audacious declared when it was looking for a CD to play. I had CDROM
9 > device forced to /dev/cdrom in Audacious, unwittingly, before and was
10 > wondering why my CDs were not playing! However, my fstab is still
11 > "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user
12 > 0 0" - so should I switch this to /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom?
13 > If so, should some link be made to /dev/cdrom, if other programs may
14 > be querying /dev/cdrom for the sake of Linux standard convention, or
15 > is /dev/cdrom already a link, which was broken in my case?
16 >
17 > Thank you,
18 > Denis
19
20 You don't need an fstab entry at all. These days, when you insert a CD,
21 it will get mounted automatically and appear in /media, just like USB
22 storage devices.