From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: unison
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:09:24
1 On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:31:43 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > I want to sync up (2) portables, down to every file (including
4 > dot files, email boxes etc) using unison. This only applies
5 > to the user's home dir, not any other files. I have to be ready to
6 > travel at a moments notice and fix equipment for a variety of
7 > installations. I have identical setups on both portables,
8 > one is a p4 the other an amd64(turion). I cannot be caught
9 > in a situation where my portable is not ready for field support.
10 > Are there any files in my home dir that I should exclude from unison
11 > as they will be different, (due to the nature of the different
12 > arch's of the machines)?
13 >
14 > I do maintain identical world files on each machine as well as
15 > similar make.conf entries(except for arch related stuff).
16 >
17 > Off hand, I cannot think of any so I should just be able to point
18 > unison to the user's home dir (/home/james) and duplicate
19 > EVERYTHING??
20 >
21 > I do have both system setup to only poll for email when I manually
22 > request it, but, that's all I can think of.
23
24 The only things you are likely to want to exclude are config files, such
25 as the mail config you mention. You also need to be sure that changes
26 "take"; for example if you sync your Konqueror bookmarks and Konqueror is
27 running, it will write its in-memory bookmarks to disc when it exits,
28 overwriting the ones you just copied over. You can avoid this by logging
29 out of the desktop on the destination machine before syncing.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Several errant electrons jumped when they shouldn't have at a place they
36 shouldn't have, resulting in what shouldn't have. In short, a short.