From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dumb question
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:24:35
1 On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 23:42:33 -0500
2 "Troy Curtis Jr" <troycurtisjr@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/10/06, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I have been using Gentoo for more than 2 years now and have always
6 > > wondered (but never asked - That's the "dumb" part) how Gentoo manages
7 > > to update a package that happens to be running at the time.
8 > >
9 > > Given that the old version (the one running) is deleted, how does it
10 > > manage to keep standing if you just cut its legs off?
11 > >
12 > > I've never seen this discussed anywhere which probably means everyone
13 > > else already knows and are probably thinking to themselves, "Dumb question."
14 > >
15 > > Tony
16
17 which leads top the point that if you update a daemon like sshd, yopu
18 need to restart it, or else you are still running the old daemon.
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list