From: Troy Curtis Jr <troycurtisjr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dumb question
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 04:47:31
1 On 10/10/06, Anthony E. Caudel <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have been using Gentoo for more than 2 years now and have always
3 > wondered (but never asked - That's the "dumb" part) how Gentoo manages
4 > to update a package that happens to be running at the time.
5 >
6 > Given that the old version (the one running) is deleted, how does it
7 > manage to keep standing if you just cut its legs off?
8 >
9 > I've never seen this discussed anywhere which probably means everyone
10 > else already knows and are probably thinking to themselves, "Dumb question."
11 >
12 > Tony
13 > --
14 > Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
15 > Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
16 > -- Benjamin Franklin
17 > --
18 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
22 Simple and short answer is that at run-time the binary and libraries
23 are loaded into memory and run from there. When you do the update it
24 replaces the binary and/or libraries on disk, but you won't actually
25 be running those updates until you restart the process. There may be
26 other, more dynamic, cases that I am aware of, but that is the general
27 gist of it.
28
29 Troy
30 --
31 "Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
32 Download now at http://getfirefox.com
33 Registered Linux User #354814 ( http://counter.li.org/)
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list