From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox Using 10G of RAM
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 03:11:41
1 R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > Hello List,
3 >
4 > This isn't normal. Is it due to the new process model? I think I read
5 > that now they emulate chrome, which possibly means both browsers are
6 > unsuitable for use. Firefox will require its threads be OOM killed if
7 > not closely monitored.
8 >
9 > If it can be fixed - can anyone explain?
10 >
11 > Cheers,
12 > R0b0t1
17 Have you checked to see what in Firefox is using that memory?
18 about:memory  Then click on Verbose and then Measure.  In the past, I
19 have found websites that are just awful at loading everything Firefox
20 has and usually for no good reason.  It's one reason I use adblock, with
21 some custom blocking not related to ads, and script blocking tools as
22 well.  I can give those memory hungry things a toss in the trash before
23 they even load.
24
25 Maybe that will help.  Of course, it could be just Firefox being
26 Firefox.  I have seen mine use 2GBs in the past but never that much.  :/
27
28 Hope that leads to a clue.
29
30 Dale