From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox Using 10G of RAM
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 03:55:25
1 On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >> Hello List,
4 >>
5 >> This isn't normal. Is it due to the new process model? I think I read
6 >> that now they emulate chrome, which possibly means both browsers are
7 >> unsuitable for use. Firefox will require its threads be OOM killed if
8 >> not closely monitored.
9 >>
10 >> If it can be fixed - can anyone explain?
11 >>
12 >> Cheers,
13 >> R0b0t1
18 > Have you checked to see what in Firefox is using that memory?
19 > about:memory Then click on Verbose and then Measure. In the past, I
20 > have found websites that are just awful at loading everything Firefox
21 > has and usually for no good reason. It's one reason I use adblock, with
22 > some custom blocking not related to ads, and script blocking tools as
23 > well. I can give those memory hungry things a toss in the trash before
24 > they even load.
25 >
26 > Maybe that will help. Of course, it could be just Firefox being
27 > Firefox. I have seen mine use 2GBs in the past but never that much. :/
28 >
29 > Hope that leads to a clue.
32 It's a good tip, but the report seems to be a bit optimistic. Firefox
33 claims there are 5 processes using ~500MB each, yet if I close Firefox
34 10G is suddenly free. Regardless of whether or not Firefox thinks it
35 is using the memory, the kernel thinks it is, because OOM killer
36 triggers.
37
38 It may or may not be related to certain webpages, I can't especially tell.
39
40 Cheers,
41 R0b0t1