From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dvdrip permissions error, alternative?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:56:12
1 On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:56:45 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > > You're right. I read this information some years ago in a normally
4 > > reliable source, and saw no reason to doubt it as it made sense. bit
5 > > I've just tried a dd copy and it worked. It failed on the first
6 > > attempt, but after running lsdvd, it worked for the whole disc, and
7 > > mplayer played it.
8
9 "It" here refers to the attempt to copy the disc with dd. The copy failed
10 after around 100MB the first time, but succeeded after lsdvd.
11
12 > What is happenning here is that lsdvd is cracking the css keys via
13 > libdvdcss and caching the keys in ~/.dvdcss. If you move the image to
14 > another computer, or try to read it as another user, the keys will
15 > neeed to be cracked again.
16
17 I've tried playing the ISO image as root and it still worked.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 I wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.