From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dvdrip permissions error, alternative?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 07:10:49
1 On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 17:56:36 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:36:10 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
5 >
6 > > > That won't work on CSS scrambled discs. You'll copy the scrambled data
7 > > > but not the key.
8 > >
9 > > That's not true. The CSS key is in the standard filesystem data, not
10 > > in some subtrack data.
11 >
12 > You're right. I read this information some years ago in a normally
13 > reliable source, and saw no reason to doubt it as it made sense. bit I've
14 > just tried a dd copy and it worked. It failed on the first attempt, but
15 > after running lsdvd, it worked for the whole disc, and mplayer played it.
18 What is happenning here is that lsdvd is cracking the css keys via
19 libdvdcss and caching the keys in ~/.dvdcss. If you move the image to
20 another computer, or try to read it as another user, the keys will
21 neeed to be cracked again.
26 > --
27 > Neil Bothwick
28 >
29 > "Bother," said Pooh, as he connected at 300 bps.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list