From: Klaus Dittrich <kladit@××××××××.de>
To: Julien Roy <julien@××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with amdgpu driver
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 15:29:33
1 On 27.01.23 15:30, Julien Roy wrote:
2 > Klaus Dittrich <kladit@××××××××.de> writes:
3 >> as I do not use a initrd or initramfs I am, as far as I know, forced
4 >> to compile the driver amdgpu into the kernel, not as modules to be
5 >> loaded.
6 >
7 > No, you can use modules even without an initrd.
8 >
9 >> I looked at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu#Unknown_firmware_blobs
10 >> but I still do not know what name is relevant to the built-in-gpu
11 >> of a AMD-7900X processor.(!?)
12 >>
13 >> Does this gpu really needs all these blobs of the list there?
14 >>
15 > No, these blobs are given as examples. They vary per GPU models and in
16 > fact there are several hundred different blobs available:
17 >
18 > ls -l /lib/firmware/amdgpu | wc -l
21 > So you have to figure out which ones you need. The easiest method is to
22 > let the kernel load them itself by having the driver built as a module,
23 > otherwise it may take several iterations of modifying the
24 > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE value until you get it to work.
27 Julien and Peter,
28
29 now I (assume I) understand what you mean.
30
31 The kernel needs the entries to CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE
32 just for drivers to be compiled in and for modules just
33 to reduce the seeking in /lib/firmware/amdgpu ?
34
35 So when I set CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m and then look at dmesg
36 of the so compiled kernel it detects the type of
37 hardware I have (here the type of the cpu-built-in gpui
38 and tells me (via dmesg) which blobs are needed
39 to satisfy the driver for the hardware it has detected.
40
41 I will try that, moment please ..
42 --
43 Regars Klaus