From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is udev-mount still valid?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 01:11:19
1 On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 17:25:36 -0700
2 Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >On 2018-04-15 00:10, Floyd Anderson wrote:
4 >
5 >> > https://very.loosely.org/paste/symlinks-pl
6 >
7 >> Because argument ROOTDIR is mandatory, the script should do something
8 >> when ROOTDIR is not given, e.g. print usage. Maybe ‘-r’ should be also
9 >> mandatory or the script should define some useful defaults. Consider
10 >> following invocations:
11 >>
12 >> $ ./symlinks-pl
13 >> $ ./symlinks-pl /path/to/broken-symlink
14 >> $ ./symlinks-pl -r /path/to/broken-symlink
15 >>
16 >> which do nothing and results with exit code 0.
17 >
18 >I think this is more of a documentation bug in usage(). ROOTDIR is in
19 >fact not mandatory - a list of zero or more items is expected, and each
20 >item processed in turn. I remember thinking about it for a second, and
21 >this was the most consistent and regular behavior, so the most
22 >attractive to my droid mind :-P
23
24 Then, I think, ROOTDIR in synopsis of `symlinks-pl --help` should be:
25
26 symlinks-pl [OPTION ...] [ROOTDIR ...]
27
28 like OPTION instead of:
29
30 symlinks-pl [OPTION ...] ROOTDIR ...
31
32 to be more consistent to other command line tools. But I see your point
33 and forget to say thanks for sharing. ;-)
37 Regards,
38 floyd