From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Corrupt xD card with photos
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:44:03
1 > I was handed what seems to be a corrupt xD flash card to extract the last
2 > photo from it. When the WinXP system at work coughed and died on it
3 > (couldn't read it) I thought that my Linux would do better. Anyhow, I've
4 > inserted it into my Fuji camera and this is what dmesg shows:
5 >
6 > ===================================================
7 > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
8 > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
9 > scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
10 > usb-storage: device found at 4
11 > usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
12 > Vendor: FUJIFILM Model: USB-DRIVEUNIT Rev: 1.00
13 > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
14 > SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
15 > sda: Write Protect is off
16 > sda: Mode Sense: 07 00 00 00
17 > sda: assuming drive cache: write through
18 > SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
19 > sda: Write Protect is off
20 > sda: Mode Sense: 07 00 00 00
21 > sda: assuming drive cache: write through
22 > sda: unknown partition table
23 > sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
24 > sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
25 > usb-storage: device scan complete
26 > ====================================================
27
28 First thing that i see is:
29 where the hell is /dev/sda1? Yes, there should be a FAT partition on
30 that xD card, but it's not there.
31
32 So first step:
33 Re-create a primary FAT partition without formatting it (for example use
34 cfdisk)
35
36 > Mount fails:
37 > ====================================================
38 > $ mount /dev/sda
39 > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
40 > missing codepage or other error
41 > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
42 > dmesg | tail or so
43 > ====================================================
44 >
45 > and dmesg then shows:
46 > ====================================================
47 > FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
48 > VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
49 > FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
50 > VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
51 > ====================================================
52 >
53 > This is what fdisk shows:
54 > ====================================================
55 > # fdisk /dev/sda
56 > Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF
57 > disklabel
58 > Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
59 > until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
60 > content won't be recoverable.
61 >
62 > Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)
63 >
64 > Command (m for help): p
65 >
66 > Disk /dev/sda: 131 MB, 131072000 bytes
67 > 5 heads, 50 sectors/track, 1024 cylinders
68 > Units = cylinders of 250 * 512 = 128000 bytes
69 >
70 > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
71 >
72 > Command (m for help):
73 >
74 > ====================================================
75 >
76 > Is there a Linux (or even M$Windoze?) way of me recovering the last photo,
77 > that doesn't involve reconstructing raw data with a hexeditor?
78
79 Maybe your are abled to mount the FAT partition after you "fixed" the
80 partition table. Well, "fixing" it basically means: delete it, and
81 create a new one. Typically, the FAT partition simply comsumes the whole
82 disk. There should be a fair chance, that (c)fdisk chooses the same
83 start/end-sectors for the partition like any other tool (including the
84 camera).
85
86 Good luck!