From: YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it that hard to add a package, or am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 09:38:09
1 On 2018-12-19 21:42, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:24 PM YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Recently I posted a bug report to Gentoo Bugzilla and submitted a
5 >> request to add package Roswell into the package tree.
6 >>
7 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/638446
8 >>
9 >> But...in fact it was not "recent" at all! I submitted the bug one year
10 >> ago and there is literally no news after some point.
11 >>
12 >> Is there anything I can do more?
13 >
14 > You can always host it in an overlay, or try submitting it to
15 > proxy-maintainers. Volunteering to proxy-maintain the package would
16 > probably also help - that basically involves committing to keep it up
17 > to date and deal with bugs/etc.
18 >
19 > The obvious QA issue I could think of with putting this in the main
20 > repo is where it sticks its files and how well-behaved it is. When it
21 > installs lisp packages does it keep them in some kind of tidy area
22 > that isn't going to step on the rest of the filesystem?
23 > Language-specific package managers can sometimes be messy in that way.
26 Roswell installs itself system-wide, then for each user it manipulates
27 local directory (by default $HOME/.roswell).
28
29 There is no global install afterwards so I suppose it should be fine.
30
31 But you are right. I should have posted the file list into my bug
32 report.
33
34 > My guess though is that this reflects a lack of interest in lisp more
35 > than any specific criticism. If somebody had a criticism they'd have
36 > pointed it out.
37 >
38 > I didn't look at your package too closely but one little tweak you
39 > should make is something like:
40 >
41 > SRC_URI="https://github.com/roswell/roswell/archive/v${PV}.zip -> ${P}.zip"
44 Good point. I will change that.
45
46 > That makes it easier to maintain by renaming the package version
47 > number, and it also cleans up the filename in the distfiles cache (and
48 > on the mirrors).
49 >
50 > --
51 > Rich