From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -e system - output info/errors to log
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:37:59
1 On 2010-04-18 1:05 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 18 April 2010 17:38:19 Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> I must be missing something obvious...
4 >>
5 >> When updating gcc, and thus emerging -e both system and world
6
7 > Why are you doing that?
8
9 Because it wasn't a minor bugfix update? I'm going from 4.1.2 to 4.3.4.
10
11 > Have you verified that you have in fact updated gcc from one version
12 > to another with an incompatible ABI?
13
14 Since the GCC upgrade guide doesn't mention a way to do this, no, I
15 haven't... so how does one verify this, Obi-Wan? ;)
16
17 > There is a false idea floating about that gcc updates require
18 > updating -e world.
19 >
20 > This is not true.
21
22 I've heard this before, but could never get a definitive answer on how
23 to know for sure when you do and don't need to...
24
25 >> where are the info/warn/errors logged? I see a whole bunch of
26 >> separate/individual logs ion /var/log/portage/elog, but what I'm
27 >> looking for is a single, easily readable log of all of the result
28 >> info/warn/errors for each package.
29
30 > Configure it in /etc/make.conf, mine looks like so:
31 >
32 > PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
33 > PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log qa"
34 > PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
35
36 I have the last two, but didn't have the first - just added it...
37
38 So, does adding the first entry provide an overall emerge.log with just
39 all of the messages in it that I can review?
40
41 > Adapt to you own needs.
42 >
43 > If you don't have this configured, then the logs are not stored. To
44 > see them again, read the ebuilds or re-run emrge
45
46 Like I said, I have a bunch of *individual* logs (for individual
47 ebuilds)... I was hoping for something a little easier to manage/read,
48 all in one file...
52 Charles