From: plougher <phillip.lougher@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can I use for a compressed file system?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:52:40
1 Richard Fish write:
2 > From what I can tell, there are no really good compressing filesystems
3 available currently.
4
5 I would disagree, Squashfs is an advanced read-only compressing filesystem,
6 which uses numerous techniques to obtaIn high compression ratios while also
7 being fast. Some of the techniques (compressed metadata, use of fragment
8 blocks, indexed compressed directories) I doubt you'll find many places
9 elsewhere irrespective of the operating system.
10
11 What I would agree with is there is no commercial support for compressing
12 filesystems, which at a time where the major improvements to the Linux
13 kernel are (arguably) being driven by the Linux distribution vendors, is a
14 major limitation. Unfortunately, embedded systems vendors tend to simply
15 use what is there, and the others are mainly focussed on the enterprise
16 which is why there's a lot of enterprise scale and clustering filesystems
17 about.
18
19 > But why do you need to do this in the filesystem? Why not use a
20 > compressible format for your backups like tar, cpio, or (my favorite)
21 > dar?
22
23 So you can mount the filesystem and transparently access the files as if
24 they were uncompressed.
25
26 Phillip Lougher
30 Sent from the gentoo-user forum at Nabble.com.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list