From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can I use for a compressed file system?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:32:06
1 On 5/12/06, plougher <phillip.lougher@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Richard Fish write:
4 > > From what I can tell, there are no really good compressing filesystems
5 > available currently.
6 >
7 > I would disagree, Squashfs is an advanced read-only compressing filesystem,
8
9 I should have said read-write filesystem.
10
11 What I would really like to see is something like reiser4's plugin
12 scheme brought up to the VFS layer in the kernel, so that any
13 filesystem could gain transparent compression. I have no use for
14 compression on backup disks, since I use programs that support
15 compression internally. But I would love to be able to compress my
16 normal filesystems /, /var, and /usr/portage. Being a laptop user, I
17 could actually get more speed from those volumes if they were
18 compressed, depending upon the algorithm used.
19
20 -Richard
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list