From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unmerge python?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:24:23
1 On Thursday 17 July 2008, Grant wrote:
2
3 > 'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
4 > Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
5 > python-updater? Will portage work once python has been unmerged?
6 > I'm being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.
7
8 Nooooooooooo! You can't have a gentoo system without python - portage
9 heavily uses python scripts. This is even worse than unmerging gcc.
10
11 The general sequence (and ALWAYS read the ebuilds - especially the
12 *DEPEND sections and act appropriately) is:
13
14 merge new python in new SLOT
15 run python updater
16 check carefully that everything works properly
17 unmerge python in old SLOT
18
19 "A stitch in time" is your watchword here
22 Alan McKinnon
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list