From: Rob Lytle <europa100@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 64 bit or not
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:16:12
1 On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 08:00:24 +0100
2 Ralph Slooten <axllent@×××××.com> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Harry Putnam wrote:
8 > > The amd64 faq link posted by Ralph Sooten tells a kind of bleak story
9 > > as of June 2005 about there being nothing remarkable about 64
10 > > performance and futher that 32 bit out performs in many areas. It is
11 > > also said that for `desktop' use there isn't much point.
12 >
13 > Somewhere in that FAQ there was a link to the gentoo forum (thread)
14 > where I read users were/are having the exact opposite results. They were
15 > getting much better results with the 64-bit.
16 >
17 > I think at the end this becomes one big debate, just like comparing AMD
18 > MHz and Intel MHz.
19 > My reasoning on whether to compile in a 64-bit environment, or a 32 is
20 > quite simple: if you don't want to "hasle" (which so far has not been as
21 > emerge sorts out everything it seems for you) of sometimes letting
22 > gentoo do tricks for you to run 32 bit programs with a second set of
23 > 32-bit libs etc, then just stick with 32 all the way.
24 > If you want to be stubborn (like me) and use your computer like it's
25 > "supposed to be", and with a scense of adventure, use 64-bit. At the end
26 > of the day I can say "hey guys, I'm running a 64-bit OS" ;-)
30 My notebook (HP zd8000) has the P4 with 64 bit extensions or emulation
31 or whatever it is called. I am curious about the 64 bit OS's, but
32 really have no idea whether there is any advantage whatsever except for
33 the experience of using such a system. I do however, use Complex-128
34 variables in Numeric Python. But since my cpu is under some sort of
35 emulation, I don't know if anything would run faster. Maybe I just
36 have to try it to find out.
37
38 Rob.
42 http://home.comcast.net/~europa100