From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How does Gentoo deal with GCC's header fixes?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 16:27:07
1 On Thursday 09 September 2010, walt wrote:
2 > On 09/08/2010 03:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > When building GCC, it will scan all headers in /usr/include and apply
4 > > fixes to them, and then copy them and use the modified versions. Now a
5 > > binary distro (AFAIK) will ship the GCC modified headers, so there's no
6 > > problem.
7 > >
8 > > Gentoo on the other hand will work as intended by GCC only if the user
9 > > re-emerges GCC after every time a package is emerged that installs
10 > > headers. Obviously, no user does that.
11 > >
12 > > So the question is simple; does Gentoo deal with this problem in any way?
13 >
14 > Maybe I misunderstand your question, but AFAIK the only reason to
15 > re-compile any package is if the libraries it links to have changed, no?
16 >
17 > AFAICS gcc links only to libraries installed by glibc. therefore in the
18 > case of recompiling gcc itself, it should need/use only the headers
19 > installed by glibc.
20 >
21 > (And the only reason to re-compile an existing glibc is if the linux kernel
22 > headers change. I always re-compile glibc when the linux kernel headers
23 > change, but I never thought about re-compiling gcc as well. Maybe I
24 > should.)
25 >
26 > Corrections are requested if I'm wrong about all of this.
27
28 hm, I never recompile glibc after a header update.... or anything else....