From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasma upgrade heads up for possible problem
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 01:53:48
1 Michael Cook wrote:
2 > On 3/5/19 7:47 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I just did a KDE plasma upgrade to 5.15.  I ran into a slight problem
6 >> that may or may not affect others so I wanted to give a heads up just in
7 >> case.  Everything builds fine.  I had no compile or install failures.
8 >> What I did run into tho was a missing or more likely crashed
9 >> kicker/panel/thingy that is at the bottom of my screen.  It's the thing
10 >> that has the clock, desktop switcher, clip board and the K menu as
11 >> well.  I never can remember what they call that this week.  Anyway, when
12 >> I logged in, it came up for just a second or two and then disappeared.
13 >> Obviously, you can't switch desktops in the normal way but if you use
14 >> the ctrl and functions keys, it doesn't act or look like it normally
15 >> should since there doesn't appear to be any background at all.  Example,
16 >> I have Kpatience on desktop 6.  If I switch to it with the ctrl function
17 >> keys, I can play the game normally.  However, if I switch to what at
18 >> startup is a empty desktop, #5 for example, the game still shows but
19 >> doesn't work.  If I switch back to desktop 6, it works as it should
20 >> again.  Whatever it is, it doesn't redraw the screen when you switch if
21 >> you don't have something already running there.  Other programs behaved
22 >> in a similar way.  It makes it look like all desktops are on one desktop
23 >> yet switching still works.  It's plenty weird.  Also, there is no K menu
24 >> so you can't start any programs that doesn't open from a saved session
25 >> on login.  Trust me, if you run into this, you won't miss it.  Even if
26 >> you don't notice the panel thingy at the bottom missing, you will notice
27 >> the rest.  It gets in your face and yells loudly that something ain't
28 >> right.  lol
29 >>
30 >> What little bit of error I found mentioned something about a missing
31 >> input.  To be honest tho, I'm not sure it was related to what I saw
32 >> happening.  None of the errors looked like a complete failure but more
33 >> as a informational type message.  Sort of like video drivers that have
34 >> the "--" or "II".  They show something didn't work as expected but it
35 >> found a way around it or works without it.
36 >>
37 >> I don't have enough info to file a bug.  The way I fixed it, I did a
38 >> emerge -e world.  It might be that a emerge -ek would fix it but to be
39 >> sure, I let it recompile everything.  It didn't quite finish when I
40 >> tried to login and it worked normally.  If I had a clue what package it
41 >> was that was causing this, I'd certainly file a bug but it could be any
42 >> number of packages.  I suspect it is a dependency myself.  Something
43 >> needed to be rebuilt but wasn't for some reason.
44 >>
45 >> I hope no one runs into this but if you do, make sure you at least have
46 >> a back up GUI installed, even if it doesn't give you anything but the
47 >> basics, at least you have a GUI.  You may also want to make sure you
48 >> have time to deal with this just in case you do run into this problem.
49 >> Having something so you can go back to 5.14 easily may work as well.
50 >>
51 >> Best of luck to all.  I hope no one else hits this.  It was plenty
52 >> weird.
53 >>
54 >> Dale
55 >>
56 >> :-)  :-)
59 > Doing a revdep-rebuild.sh found the issue for me. (Note the newer
60 > version of this script without .sh did not find the issue)
64 Dang, I forgot about that command.  I may could have used that and had
65 the info needed to file a bug report so that the ebuild could be
66 changed/updated.  That may prevent others from getting stuck.  I haven't
67 used that command in a long long time.  It's been years I would guess.
68
69 Maybe that will help others if they run into this.
70
71 Dale
72