From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge improvements... again
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:36:20
1 On Sunday 09 October 2005 18:57, Rumen Yotov wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:19:50 +0000
4 >
5 > Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 > > I'm getting ready to make a post on bugs.gentoo.org to ask for a
7 > > couple of feature enhancements for portage's emerge routine. I
8 > > thought I'd ask here first, to see how everyone feels about them and
9 > > if there's too much negative response I'll just drop the idea.
10 > >
11 > > Two new features I'd like to see added are;
12 > >
13 > > 1- In /etc/make.conf add a new key to FEATURES that would cause
14 > > portage to cleanup the DISTDIR folder if everything emerges cleanly.
15 > > Perhaps "CLEANDIST" or "DISTCLEAN" or something similar would
16 > > suffice. I never, ever keep the source files after a successfully
17 > > emerge session and it would be nice if portage would take care of the
18 > > dirty work for me.... automatically.
19 >
20 > Think this is already in Portage (as FEATURE) and is called
21 > "distclean", haven't tried it though - remove source after install.
24 Just to make sure, I looked over the man files once more time. Yes, there's an
25 option named NOCLEAN. It's supposed to stop tmp and source file cleanups...
26 Hmmm.... maybe I found a bug? Cleanups to occur in /var/tmp/portage but never
27 the source files in distfiles.
28
29 > > 2- We have "emerge world" that covers everything already installed
30 > > and "emerge sys" that covers all the system related stuff.... How
31 > > about "emerge apps" that would ONLY cover things NOT in "emerge
32 > > sys"? Face it, it'd be nice.... Right now, I have to resort to extra
33 > > steps to "emerge apps" and well... it'd be a nicer chore for portage
34 > > to handle.
35 >
36 > What about e.g."emerge -ev gnome", think this will work, specially for
37 > meta-packages. Tried it - too many packages, catches deps of deps etc.
40 Yeah, same here for a number of packages. "Emerge apps" would be better if
41 available.
44 > > 3- Make a list of hooks available to hackers, like myself. I know I
45 > > can implement the above features, but the emerge source is huge and
46 > > teasing out the details is proving more time consumeing than actually
47 > > implementing new code. Perhaps in /etc/make.conf there could be
48 > > config lines like, "EXECUTE_AFTER_OK_EMERGE" and we could fill in a
49 > > path to our own cleanup scripts... Or maybe
50 > > "EXECUTE_AFTER_BAD_EMERGE" in the same case as above, but after a bad
51 > > emerge run, etc....
54 > > So, what do you guys/gals think?
55 >
56 > HTH.Rumen
61 Registered Linux User Number 185956
62 FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
63 Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
64 Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
65 3:33pm up 21 days, 5:58, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.08
66 --
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list