From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge improvements... again
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 18:58:01
1 Hi,
2 On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:19:50 +0000
3 Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 > I'm getting ready to make a post on bugs.gentoo.org to ask for a
7 > couple of feature enhancements for portage's emerge routine. I
8 > thought I'd ask here first, to see how everyone feels about them and
9 > if there's too much negative response I'll just drop the idea.
10 >
11 > Two new features I'd like to see added are;
12 >
13 > 1- In /etc/make.conf add a new key to FEATURES that would cause
14 > portage to cleanup the DISTDIR folder if everything emerges cleanly.
15 > Perhaps "CLEANDIST" or "DISTCLEAN" or something similar would
16 > suffice. I never, ever keep the source files after a successfully
17 > emerge session and it would be nice if portage would take care of the
18 > dirty work for me.... automatically.
19 >
20 Think this is already in Portage (as FEATURE) and is called
21 "distclean", haven't tried it though - remove source after install.
22 > 2- We have "emerge world" that covers everything already installed
23 > and "emerge sys" that covers all the system related stuff.... How
24 > about "emerge apps" that would ONLY cover things NOT in "emerge
25 > sys"? Face it, it'd be nice.... Right now, I have to resort to extra
26 > steps to "emerge apps" and well... it'd be a nicer chore for portage
27 > to handle.
28 >
29 What about e.g."emerge -ev gnome", think this will work, specially for
30 meta-packages. Tried it - too many packages, catches deps of deps etc.
31 > 3- Make a list of hooks available to hackers, like myself. I know I
32 > can implement the above features, but the emerge source is huge and
33 > teasing out the details is proving more time consumeing than actually
34 > implementing new code. Perhaps in /etc/make.conf there could be
35 > config lines like, "EXECUTE_AFTER_OK_EMERGE" and we could fill in a
36 > path to our own cleanup scripts... Or maybe
37 > "EXECUTE_AFTER_BAD_EMERGE" in the same case as above, but after a bad
38 > emerge run, etc....
41 > So, what do you guys/gals think?
42 >
43 HTH.Rumen