From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] emerge improvements... again
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 18:23:19
1 I'm getting ready to make a post on bugs.gentoo.org to ask for a couple of
2 feature enhancements for portage's emerge routine. I thought I'd ask here
3 first, to see how everyone feels about them and if there's too much negative
4 response I'll just drop the idea.
5
6 Two new features I'd like to see added are;
7
8 1- In /etc/make.conf add a new key to FEATURES that would cause portage to
9 cleanup the DISTDIR folder if everything emerges cleanly. Perhaps "CLEANDIST"
10 or "DISTCLEAN" or something similar would suffice. I never, ever keep the
11 source files after a successfully emerge session and it would be nice if
12 portage would take care of the dirty work for me.... automatically.
13
14 2- We have "emerge world" that covers everything already installed and "emerge
15 sys" that covers all the system related stuff.... How about "emerge apps"
16 that would ONLY cover things NOT in "emerge sys"? Face it, it'd be nice....
17 Right now, I have to resort to extra steps to "emerge apps" and well... it'd
18 be a nicer chore for portage to handle.
19
20 3- Make a list of hooks available to hackers, like myself. I know I can
21 implement the above features, but the emerge source is huge and teasing out
22 the details is proving more time consumeing than actually implementing new
23 code. Perhaps in /etc/make.conf there could be config lines like,
24 "EXECUTE_AFTER_OK_EMERGE" and we could fill in a path to our own cleanup
25 scripts... Or maybe "EXECUTE_AFTER_BAD_EMERGE" in the same case as above, but
26 after a bad emerge run, etc....
29 So, what do you guys/gals think?
34 Registered Linux User Number 185956
35 FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
36 Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
37 Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
38 2:08pm up 21 days, 4:33, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.08
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list