From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:32:41
1 On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > 2012/3/11 walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
5 >> On 03/11/2012 05:16 AM, Jorge Martínez López wrote:
6 >>> Hi!
7 >>
8 >> Hi Jorge.
9 >>
10 >>> I had some struggle with a separate /usr on top of LVM
11 >>
12 >> I'm just curious why you use a separate /usr, and why you are
13 >> willing to struggle to keep it that way.  Several people have
14 >> posted opinions here in recent months, but I don't recall that
15 >> you are one of them.
16 >
17 > I believe that by the time I installed Gentoo it was recommended on
18 > the installation handbook. I did not give it much thought. I believed
19 > back then that thanks to LVM I could always grow and shrink my
20 > partitions as needed.
21 >
22 > If I had to do it again I would probably go the btrfs route (once they
23 > get fsck working).
24 >
25 > Regarding the whole /usr discussion, I trust the developers to know
26 > what they are doing better than I do and I did not find any serious
27 > flaw on their reasoning. It took me just a couple of hours to get the
28 > initrd working, so I did it and moved on. On the other hand I can
29 > understand some people disagree. I do not have a problem with that.
30
31 Don't forget you're using Gentoo; you're implicitly not very far
32 removed from the skill levels of the developers themselves.
36 :wq