From: "Jorge Martínez López" <jorgeml@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:24:42
1 Hi!
2
3 2012/3/11 walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
4 > On 03/11/2012 05:16 AM, Jorge Martínez López wrote:
5 >> Hi!
6 >
7 > Hi Jorge.
8 >
9 >> I had some struggle with a separate /usr on top of LVM
10 >
11 > I'm just curious why you use a separate /usr, and why you are
12 > willing to struggle to keep it that way.  Several people have
13 > posted opinions here in recent months, but I don't recall that
14 > you are one of them.
15
16 I believe that by the time I installed Gentoo it was recommended on
17 the installation handbook. I did not give it much thought. I believed
18 back then that thanks to LVM I could always grow and shrink my
19 partitions as needed.
20
21 If I had to do it again I would probably go the btrfs route (once they
22 get fsck working).
23
24 Regarding the whole /usr discussion, I trust the developers to know
25 what they are doing better than I do and I did not find any serious
26 flaw on their reasoning. It took me just a couple of hours to get the
27 initrd working, so I did it and moved on. On the other hand I can
28 understand some people disagree. I do not have a problem with that.
29
30 Cheers,
31 --
32 Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com> http://www.jorgeml.net