From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] failure to login with xdm or gdm
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 17:08:24
1 On Fri, Jun 08 2012, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
5 >> an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).
6 >>
7 >> With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen.  Just the funny cursor going
8 >> round and round.
9 >
10 > I had a similar problem with GDM back when I first tried GNOME 3.0.
11 > The (very hard to track) reason was that my installation of GDM was
12 > really old, and the group for the gdm had changed from the 2.x days. I
13 > had to uninstall gdm, delete the user and group gdm, completely delete
14 > /var/lib/gdm, and install gdm again for it to work.
15 >
16 > What does
17 >
18 > $ grep gdm /etc/passwd
19 > $ grep gdm /etc/group
20 >
21 > say?
22 >
23 > Regards.
24
25 I have "fixed" the problem by downgrading polkit and udisks.
26 To answer your questions
27
28 oldlap ~ # grep gdm /etc/passwd
29 gdm:x:103:104:added by portage for gdm:/var/lib/gdm:/sbin/nologin
30 oldlap ~ # grep gdm /etc/group
31 video:x:27:root,gottlieb,gdm
32 gdm:x:104:gdm
33 oldlap ~ #