From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:00:59
1 >> >>> There are still a lot of DVD-Video media that don't use CSS.
2 >> >>
3 >> >> I have certainly cloned region-protected DVDs on a number of
4 >> >> occasions
5 >> >> using `dd`. These disks have given no read errors, and the subsequent
6 >> >> encrypted .iso image has produced perfectly fine rips.
7 >> >
8 >> > Most video DVDs are dual layer how did you write them?
9 >>
10 >> You can play the dvd.iso using mplayer - it will decrypt on the fly -
11 >> or you decrypt them some other method before re-authoring. Usually I
12 >> just convert them to mp4 using mplayer / mencoder.
13 >
14 > If you like to write it to DVD in a way that allows standalone players
15 > to read it, you need to retain the layer break. You read it out with cdrecord
16 > and you set it with cdrecord driveropts=layerbreak=#
17 >
18 > Jörg
19
20 dvdstyler is good for turning an mp4 (for example) into a DVD that can
21 be read by a standalone player. Dual layer is handled transparently.
22
23 - Grant