From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New To Gentoo and Emerge, No ACPI in Kernel
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 02:27:15
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2
3 >On 3/24/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>Gabriel Dain wrote:
10 >>>>However, I don't know how to rebuild the kernel
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>># cd /usr/src/linux
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >
19 >Know how to do that...
23 >>># make menuconfig
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >
27 >I don't see a file called "menuconfig" in here. Will this work? All
28 >I see (that looks relevant) is Makefile, include/ and kernel/
32 You don't see that as a file, it is a command. Just type it in and a
33 new screen comes up to configure the kernel with. Use the arrow keys to
34 navigate around. I use the space bar to toggle what I want it to do as
35 far as modules or build in. Some of this may not make sense until you
36 are in there. Once you see it, it will clear up a bit. It took be
37 about 10 tries to get a stable kernel the first time I did it. Now, if
38 I know the hard ware, twice is about the most tries I need. I usually
39 hit it the first time.
43 >>><!--- Add whatever support you need, i've never worked with ACPI, sorry --->
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >
47 >No clue whatsoever how to do that. I've never built a kernel before,
48 >not on Debian, not on Red Hat, not on anything.
52 >>># make && make modules_install
53 >>>
54 >>>
55 >
56 >What'll that do? Make and make modules_install? I don't see anything
57 >called "modules_install" either.
61 When you type in make, it builds the kernel itself and creates a
62 bzImage, it also makes the modules. BzImage is the kernel. That is the
63 first thing the OS itself loads up to boot, yes, windoze has one too.
64 Make modules_install installs any modules that were built during the
65 make command.
69 >>Addition:
70 >>
71 >>cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage<your stuff here>
75 >I think mine is a i686... I think I should say that I did just take
76 >the kernel off the live CD... I wasn't brave enough (at the time) to
77 >build a kernel.
81 It is the same for them all. My rig is i686 too but the kernel in i386
82 is what you use.
86 >>Then add it or change it in bootloader, grub is easier on this one. ;-)
90 >I use grup.
94 Either they have a new bootloader or you mean grub. I have used Lilo
95 and now use grub. IMHO, grub is better.
99 <snip>
100
101 I hope some of this makes sense. I have been where you are now and it
102 is a bit . . . . scary.
103
104 Dale
106 --