From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New To Gentoo and Emerge, No ACPI in Kernel
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:19:33
1 On 3/24/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Gabriel Dain wrote:
3 >
4 > >>However, I don't know how to rebuild the kernel
5 > >>
6 > >>
7 > >
8 > ># cd /usr/src/linux
9
10 Know how to do that...
11
12 > ># make menuconfig
13
14 I don't see a file called "menuconfig" in here. Will this work? All
15 I see (that looks relevant) is Makefile, include/ and kernel/
16
17 > ><!--- Add whatever support you need, i've never worked with ACPI, sorry --->
18
19 No clue whatsoever how to do that. I've never built a kernel before,
20 not on Debian, not on Red Hat, not on anything.
21
22 > ># make && make modules_install
23
24 What'll that do? Make and make modules_install? I don't see anything
25 called "modules_install" either.
26
27 > Addition:
28 >
29 > cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage<your stuff here>
30
31 I think mine is a i686... I think I should say that I did just take
32 the kernel off the live CD... I wasn't brave enough (at the time) to
33 build a kernel.
34
35 > Then add it or change it in bootloader, grub is easier on this one. ;-)
36
37 I use grup.
38
39 > Then . . . .
40 >
41 > ># reboot
42 > >
43 > >that should do it, if support is what you need. However, this will
44 > >probably be more useful:
45 > >
46 > ># emerge -av acpid <!--- -av means --verbose and --ask, so you can see
47 > >what you're actually emerging, and have to choice no to, if you want
48 > >--->
49
50 Okay...
51
52 > >and read this for help on configuring it:
53 > >http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_ACPI_basic_configuration
54
55 Did so. However, the Battery Monitor for KDE still tells me to
56 rebuild my kernel with this ACPI enabled, most specifically "AC
57 Adaptor" and "Control Method Battery," though if it'll support more
58 then I'd certainly love to do that.
59
60 > >Gabriel Dain
65 > Other than that, pretty good start. May need more help though since you
66 > are new to this. Welcome to Gentoo Linux. You'll get over that feeling
67 > of being a 'long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs' after a
68 > while. LOL
69
70 I've been using Debian (Debian and Kubuntu) for the past 5 months or
71 so to build my skills to the point that I can squeak through Gentoo
72 with only minor injuries : ) I'm also in that odd area of learning
73 C++ where I'm not ultra-good, but I'm not clueless, either : ) So
74 eventually I'll be attempting to interrogate all of you about these
75 fascinating bash scripts.
76
77 Even so, I'm really loving Gentoo.... it leaves a smaller memory
78 footprint than even Debian! Coming from ten years of Windows use,
79 that's like... going to heaven without having to die, really.
80
81 Thanks for your help. I'll try and see if I can get this to work the easy way.
82
83 Also, emerge now tells me that I have 19 config files in /etc to be
84 updated. How would I go about doing that? emerge --help config
85 confused me more than anything else (that was what emerge reccommended
86 I do).
90 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
91 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
92 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
93 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
94 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
97 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list