From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 18:07:57
1 On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >>
4 >> Who is forcing anybody to use anything?
5 >
6 > Look around and you will find that systemd has taken over Linux, with a
7 > few exceptions as in distributions like Gentoo. The taking over will
8 > probably continue until you cannot use Linux anymore without using
9 > systemd. If that's not forcing, then what is it?
10
11 They're not forcing you to use Linux at all, let alone Linux with systemd.
12
13 Fedora v13 never contained systemd as far as I'm aware. Today it
14 still works EXACTLY as it did then. Nobody is preventing you from
15 using that. The same is true for any other distro that has adopted
16 systemd.
17
18 Your complaint isn't that people are forcing you to use systemd. Your
19 complaint is that somebody isn't building a linux distro to your
20 personal specifications free of charge. With FOSS we all contribute
21 code that anybody can use for as long as they wish. The fact that you
22 don't want to use the code that somebody wrote a few years ago and
23 would rather they write updated software (perhaps with security
24 vulnerabilities removed, features added, and so on) doesn't obligate
25 others to create it for you.
26
27 And that is my issue with this line of argument. It assumes that you
28 have a right to demand that others create free software for you, and
29 that they do it to your specifications.
30
31 I get your frustration. There have been FOSS projects that were
32 discontinued that I've thought were really valuable. However, while I
33 mourn their indefinite slumber, I'm not going to complain that the
34 devs chose to move on. I never paid them for what they gave me in the
35 first place, and I have no right to demand more. The same is true of
36 whoever maintains your init scripts. If you have a support contract
37 that requires somebody to backport fixes to whatever you're using for
38 10 years, and they're breaking that contract, then I can only agree
39 that you're in the right. Short of that, you've gotten what you've
40 paid for. I understand your frustration, but I don't think the use of
41 terms like "force" is justified.
44 Rich