From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any video optimization tips?
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 21:22:54
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 01:57:58PM +0000, James wrote
2
3 > Find the minimal flags and the optimum CFLAGS settings for
4 > your needs. Refine by testing. USE a fast hard drive.....
5 > Avoid apps that soak up ram. Some video apps are ram_hogs...
6 >
7 > I'd be curious to learn what you finally figure out.
8
9 What I finally figured out was that "-march=native is *EXTREMELY*
10 conservative". As a matter, I started a new thread on exactly that
11 topic<G>. To summarize... "-march=native" had disabled mmx, sse, sse2,
12 sse3 (aka pni), and ssse3, all of which are available on the cpu. After
13 explicitly adding those flags to CFLAGS, emerging system+world, and
14 rebuilding the kernel, it runs 1080p just fine, thank you.
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>