From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Any video optimization tips?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:59:34
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch <at> igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
5 > > I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video.
6
7 > You could try to install a recent kernel (3.1.5 for me) and enable
8 > the CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y (it's a staging driver, just search for it
9 > by entering / in the make menuconfig environment).
10
11 Additionally, when I use older machines, sometimes minimization
12 of the compile flags helps on some apps and not on others. You
13 have to experiment. It usually works for machines that are
14 design for a single special purpose, not workstations or every
15 server service you can compile for. I never optimized one
16 for just streaming video, so I cannot give you specifics.
17
18 Here is one I use for a firewall. Note the CFLAGS (Os) setting
19 for small:
20
21 CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
22 USE="-* -nls mmx hardened ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre \
23 python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog"
24
25 Find the minimal flags and the optimum CFLAGS settings for
26 your needs. Refine by testing. USE a fast hard drive.....
27 Avoid apps that soak up ram. Some video apps are ram_hogs...
28
29 I'd be curious to learn what you finally figure out.
30
31 hth,
32 James