From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any video optimization tips?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:20:09
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 01:57:58PM +0000, James wrote
2
3 > Find the minimal flags and the optimum CFLAGS settings for
4 > your needs. Refine by testing. USE a fast hard drive.....
5 > Avoid apps that soak up ram. Some video apps are ram_hogs...
6 >
7 > I'd be curious to learn what you finally figure out.
8
9 Here's my current setup. First the cpu flags...
10
11 waltdnes@d530 ~ $ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
12 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
13 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
14 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
15 est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dts
16
17 And what I've specified in CFLAGS and USE
18
19 waltdnes@d530 ~ $ grep "\(CFLAGS\|USE\)" /etc/make.conf
20 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
21 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
22 USE="-* X a52 aac bzip2 cxx dga dri exif ffmpeg flac fortran gallium gif
23 intel jpeg mmx mng mp3 mpeg nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl
24 png posix sse sse2 ssse3 theora threads tiff truetype vim-syntax vorbis
25 win32codecs wmf xcomposite xpm xv xvid zlib"
26
27 One more thing. I just ran "gcc -march=native -Q --help=target" and
28 got a major shock. It's a long output listing of what is/isn't enabled
29 with -march=native on my cpu. Here are some relevant items...
30
31 -march= core2
32 -mmmx [disabled]
33 -msse [disabled]
34 -msse2 [disabled]
35 -msse3 [disabled]
36 -mssse3 [disabled]
37
38 It has properly identified the cpu as "core2". But mmx, sse, sse2,
39 sse3 (aka pni), and ssse3 are disabled!!! I'll change my CFLAGS to...
40
41 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
42
43 ...and emerge system and world and rebuild the kernel. Then I'll see
44 if it helps. It'll probably be at least an overnight job for each
45 emerge, if not longer.
48 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>