From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any video optimization tips?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:22:05
1 On 12/16/2011 12:11:34 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video.
3 > It's
4 > a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530, with 2 gigs of ram, assembled and
5 > shipped
6 > August 2007. It has an Intel dual core (*NOT* a "Core Duo") cpu like
7 > so
8 > (from /proc/cpuinfo).
9 >
10 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
11 > cpu family : 6
12 > model : 15
13 > model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz
14 > stepping : 2
15 > cpu MHz : 1595.660
16 > cache size : 1024 KB
17 >
18 > The original Intel onboard GPU wasn't really up to the task. I
19 > bought
20 > an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card, set it up, and it handles
21 > 1280x720p
22 > video OK, from my HDHomerun TV tuner box. 1920x1080i shows the
23 > occasional hint of stuttering. I followed the instructions at
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml including the Nouveau
25 > driver. I'm running ICEWM to minimize system overhead. Are there
26 > any
27 > other tips and tricks for getting better video performance out of
28 > this
29 > admittedly old system? glxgears shows 382 fps when the system is
30 > idle.
31 >
32 > It works without an xorg.conf. This also happens to my mdev test
33 > machine (no udev). I'm attaching the Xorg log file for more detail.
36 You could try to install a recent kernel (3.1.5 for me) and enable
37 the CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=y (it's a staging driver, just search for it
38 by entering / in the make menuconfig environment).
39
40 Then re-emerge the x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau driver.
41
42 I hope this helps a bit,
43
44 Helmut.