From: hawat.thufir@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] autofs, supermount, submount... which is best for Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:14:15
1 On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jochen Schalanda wrote:
2
3 > From: Jochen Schalanda <Jochen@×××××××××.de>
4 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] autofs, supermount,
5 > submount... which is best for Gentoo?
6 > Newsgroups: linux.gentoo.user
7 >
8 > On 10/13/2004 11:10 PM, Felix Tiede wrote:
9 >
10 >> submount is supposed to supersede supermount as supermount is running
11 > in
12 >> kernel-space, while submount is a user-space-tool.
13 >
14 > I think that is not quite correct. submount is a kernel module, hence it runs
15 > in kernel space. A userspace solution for automounting would be
16 > dbus+hal+ivman or gnome-volume-manager.
17 >
18 > I tried supermount, submount, and dbus+hal+ivman and at the moment I like
19 > submount best since it perfectly fits my needs. But as already said, all the
20 > programs (automount, supermount, submount, ivman) have a slightly different
21 > featureset, so one should really try them all and decide afterwards which one
22 > to choose.
23 >
24 > Jochen
27 Very informative, thanks. I think I'll go with submount.
30 -Thufir
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list