From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which machine to buy for perfect gentoo machine?!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:53:38
1 On Apr 13, 2013 12:18 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan" <me@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Saturday 13 April 2013 10:39:08 AM IST, Kvothe Tech wrote:
4 >>
6 >> Hash: SHA256
7 >>
8 >> Tamer Higazi <th982a@××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 >>
10 >>> Hi people!
11 >>> My old core2duo machine says slowly goodbye and I am at this lever
12 >>> after
13 >>> 7 years for buying myself a new developer machine, that should serve me
14 >>> well for a long time again. With intel I never had problems, all their
15 >>> systems were REALLY stable, and they were really worth their money up
17 >>> the last cent.
18 >>>
19 >>> I am asking all the gentoo people for an advise, for it's opinion which
20 >>> cpu to buy, that would perfectly work with Gentoo, as well where all of
21 >>> it's future would be used-
22 >>> There are 3 choices:
23 >>>
24 >>> Intel Xeon E5-2650
25 >>> Core i7 3979 extreme edition
26 >>> AMD FX.8350 CPU
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>> for an advise, I would kindly thank you.
30 >>>
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>> Tamer
36 >> Xeon if its a server i7 if not but that's just me also depends what else
37 you have in it or want and what other than developing you're doing
38 >> - --
39 >> Sent from Kaiten Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
43 > IMO FX8350 would be better, especially if you're running long compile
44 jobs (include portage as a part of it).
45 > FX8350 outperforms i5 in various cases for the price point.
48 I myself prefer AMD CPUs to Intel ones.
49
50 Intel has this habit of 'segmenting' their processor features. E.g., Intel
51 VT-x (Intel's buggy implementation of AMD-V) is not available across the
52 board. If one needs to leverage VT-x for virtualization purposes, one must
53 be double sure that the CPU one bought supports VT-x.
54
55 All latest AMD CPUs (except the laptop versions) support all AMD features.
56 So, as long as one does not buy a laptop CPU, one can be sure that one gets
57 everything one wants from a modern CPU.
58
59 Rgds,