From: Nick Smith <nick.smith79@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcp problems
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:24:24
1 On 3/16/06, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:21:17 -0500
3 > "Nick Smith" <nick.smith79@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > i have a new laptop that is giving me fits when i try to get any
6 > > distro of linux installed. i was actually able to install gentoo and
7 > > got it to boot (this is my first amd64 machine) but i cant get it to
8 > > pull an ip address via dhcp i get this in the syslog:
9 > >
10 > > dhcpcd[6038]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS: Function not implemented
11 > >
12 > > i did install dhcpcd on the install so that should be working, and i
13 > > do have the 8139too driver compiled into the kernel like i normally
14 > > do. what am i missing here?
15 > >
16 > > thanks for any help
17 > >
18 > > Nick
19 >
20 > I had similar problems with a new Centrino laptop. The wireless would
21 > not work, neither would the regular network port. I first tried to
22 > boot with the kernel parameter acpi=off. This worked for me, however I
23 > then lost all acpi funtions so I could not use SpeedStep or see how
24 > much battery life I had.
25 >
26 > I kept searchig and found irqpoll as a kernel boot option. Using that
27 > fixed my wireless up and allowed me to get my battery status. I think
28 > it all had to do with irq sharing and conflicts.
29 >
30 > Try booting up with the irqpool kernel boot option or the acpi=off boot
31 > option and see what you get.
32 >
33 > Jim
34 > --
35 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
38 I have tried both those options, and have even tried just a static ip
39 address just in case dhcp was messed up, and it still gives me that
40 "Function not implemented" error message.
41 I have done 3 different installs of gentoo, recompiled different
42 modules for the network card etc to no avail. how is it that it can
43 work with ubuntu and suse, but i cant get the darned thing to work in
44 gentoo, the OS i really want on my laptop ;-)
45
46 any more ideas?
47
48 thanks