From: Jure Varlec <exzombie@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg i810/i915 mode problem (modular X)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 17:49:16
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 08:12, W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I have a new Sony Vaio laptop with a 1366x768 screen using the intel
3 > "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller" which can be
4 > driven by the xorg i810 driver. Works fine on the laptop in this
5 > resolution.
6 >
7 > The problem I have is that many of the possible modes for this chipset
8 > return blank when xorg starts as in the example below from the xorg log
9 > - the mode I want to use is 1280x1024 for an external projector.
10 >
11 > I have (once!) been able to get 1280x1024 using 915resolution to force
12 > the mode, and two screens but I need to use clone mode so this wasnt
13 > practical (I want clone mode with the same desktop on both screens)
14 >
15 > Can someone point me towards a solution please. It seems to me that
16 > xorg is not reading the chipset correctly. Note that ddc on or off
17 > doesnt help (and if I have an external monitor attached when xorg
18 > starts, it really stuffs things up, also ddc on or off!)
19 >
20 > My requirement is to use 1360x768 when standalone, or 1280x1024 on
21 > either an LCD desk monitor, or same resolution on a projector in clone
22 > mode. When doing the external thing, the laptop screen doesnt have to
23 > be 'perfect'. Currently I can do this, but only in 1024x768, which
24 > looks terrible on the ext LCD due to aliasing.
27 > BillK
30 First, make sure you have proper modes in your VBIOS with 915resolution, and
31 that you have those resolution in your "Screen" section in xorg.conf. Then
32 make sure xorg knows which pipe has which display (e.g., I have
33 Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP" in my xorg.conf; check the driver's man
34 page).
35 After that, using clone mode should work with all those resolutions. However,
36 there are two things you must be aware of. Firstly, it seems you need to
37 restart xorg /after/ you connect the other monitor in order for it to enable
38 clone mode (although I think there is an option for the driver to enable
39 polling). Secondly, xorg fails to negotiate the proper resolution with
40 certain displays, e.g. I had a problem with a projector once. In that case,
41 you must set the correct resolution in your "Screen" section and delete the
42 others.
43
44 Good luck.