From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anxiousness? [was:Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:31:55
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:36:58 +0100
2 "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Mark Knecht ha scritto:
5 >
6 > > The one thing I would respectfully suggest is that you carefully
7 > > build your own portage overlay. My experience with Gentoo over the
8 > > last few years is that there is a _anxiousness_ in the portage
9 > > maintainer area to move newer revisions of software into portage
10 > > quickly and then just as quickly to remove from portage what users
11 > > are currently using.
12
13 @Mark
14 That's certainly true in the sense that we loathe maintaining
15 several revisions of the same software. Each Gentoo maintainer can
16 maintain anywhere from 1 to $BIG_NUM packages, so we strive to have in
17 general at most three versions in portage at any given time. We don't
18 really want bug reports about $old_stable if it's been fixed in a
19 $new_stable. We're not backport-monkeys, like Ubuntu. We do what we do
20 cause we like solving complex problems, interacting with the smart
21 people we call 'users'[1] and our fellow devs, not because "svn diff"
22 is our BFF. :-)
23
24 > I am usually a bit annoyed by the contrary. On an almost 1-year old
25 > Kubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron) I can find packages that are just barely
26 > x86 stable now on Gentoo.
27 >
28 > A couple of examples I am aware of:
29 > Firefox 3: stable just since one month on Gentoo x86, was included in
30 > KB8.04 Qtiplot: 0.9.x stable and working on KB8.04, all releases ~x86
31 > (and a hell to compile on a stable system -still didn't manage to do
32 > it) in Gentoo.
33
34 I don't know about qtiplot but Firefox-3 was blocked by the fact that
35 there were stability problems the first many months, compared to
36 firefox-2. I remember random crashes, etc. Then we had a mysterious bug
37 where it would segfault on first start if compiled with
38 USE="xulrunner", i.e. using the system libxul, but not if we used the
39 bundled one. Then we had some problems with hardened Gentoo, Sparc
40 getting bus errors, etc. If you remember firefox-2 when first it came
41 out, it also had the same kinds of problems. I think it wasn't before
42 2.0.0.11 that I migrated from 1.5.
43
44 Gentoo has many arches and the more popular a package is, the more
45 bugreports will come, the harder it will be to mark it stable. Firefox
46 is especially hard to maintain because users use it so very much.
47
48 > Python releases are often behind, and not mentioning KDE 4, which is
49 > even default on 8.10 Kubuntu and on Gentoo was still hardmasked last
50 > time I checked (but probably Gentoo is just right in this respect,
51 > everyone keeps telling me to wait before digging into KDE 4).
52
53 Python is a special case. Portage (emerge and friends) use it, so we
54 always try to have as few bugs as possible in the versions that are put
55 into the tree. Kde 4.1 is broken, compared to 3.5.9/10. I tried it and I
56 don't want it. The problem we have now is that 3.5.10 is starting to
57 bitrot, so we'll probably *have* to mark 4.2 stable.
58
59 > I fully understand that there are good reasons for that, and that the
60 > meta-distribution status of Gentoo makes harder to check packages (and
61 > also that the Ubuntu folks wildly release unstable stuff... firefox 3
62 > rc in 8.04, for example). I just feel that (stable) Gentoo is
63 > actually a bit *behind* the average Linux distribution in its
64 > revisions of software.
65
66 You asked for stable, you got it. We're usually faster than Debian
67 stable though.
68
69 > Most importantly, I also feel that that's something new: when I first
70 > installed my system, more than 4 years ago, I felt it was *ahead*.
71
72 I did too, but then I was coming from Windows, so that's hardly
73 surprising :-)
74
75 No, seriously it didn't take long for me to go ~x86. I think it was
76 ati-drivers (oh noez!) and keeping them in sync with xorg-server that
77 drove me to it.
78
79 > I wonder if it's due just to the sheer increase of work required to
80 > test packages, or if there are decisions behind that (or if it's just
81 > me having false memories).
82
83 The amount of work has something to do with it, you (users) can help
84 there by filing stable requests if you see a package that you feel has
85 been ~arch for too long. We do react to nudges. Most of us, anyway.
86
87 /PA
88
89 [1] It wouldn't really be much fun being a dev for Gentoo if we didn't
90 have the bestest users evers. Srsly :-). If you look at how many bug
91 reports there are and how many are at least partially solved by users
92 before a dev gets to it, it's quite humbling. Sometimes I can spend
93 hours being a commit-monkey for users who've posted bugreports that
94 makes solving the bug a matter of fifteen minutes, tops.