From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] etc-update
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:13:20
1 On 6/26/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 June 2006 14:36, Sean wrote:
3 > > What is the best way to handle the files that etc-update states needs to
4 > > be updated?
5 >
6 > There are three competing utilities for this purpose. The official etc-update
7 > (which sucks and should have been deprecated a long time ago... ;) ),
8 > dispatch-conf and cfg-update.
11 What's the matter with etc-update? It just does it all...
12
13 > > It displays a list of all the files that need updating, but does it
14 > > actually put this list into a file anywhere so that I can manually look
15 > > them over to see what the differences are?
16 >
17 > This will show the new files:
18 >
19 > # find /etc -name ._cfg*
20 >
21 > > Or could anyone suggest the best steps to proceed?
22 >
23 > What you should do is figure out how to use either dispatch-conf or
24 > cfg-update. Personally I use dispatch-conf because I learned that first and
25 > it satisfies my needs. I think cfg-update is superior but never bothered to
26 > investigate. A couple of references:
27 >
28 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=4
29 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622
32 I don't see why use other tool. Etc-update works great...
33 I've been using it since my first Gentoo install 2 years ago and never
34 needed (neither bothered looking for) this other tools you mentioned.
37 Daniel da Veiga
38 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list