From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] etc-update
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:13:00
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2
3 > On 6/26/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Monday 26 June 2006 14:36, Sean wrote:
6 >> > What is the best way to handle the files that etc-update states
7 >> needs to
8 >> > be updated?
9 >>
10 >> There are three competing utilities for this purpose. The official
11 >> etc-update
12 >> (which sucks and should have been deprecated a long time ago... ;) ),
13 >> dispatch-conf and cfg-update.
16 > What's the matter with etc-update? It just does it all...
17 >
18 >> > It displays a list of all the files that need updating, but does it
19 >> > actually put this list into a file anywhere so that I can manually
20 >> look
21 >> > them over to see what the differences are?
22 >>
23 >> This will show the new files:
24 >>
25 >> # find /etc -name ._cfg*
26 >>
27 >> > Or could anyone suggest the best steps to proceed?
28 >>
29 >> What you should do is figure out how to use either dispatch-conf or
30 >> cfg-update. Personally I use dispatch-conf because I learned that
31 >> first and
32 >> it satisfies my needs. I think cfg-update is superior but never
33 >> bothered to
34 >> investigate. A couple of references:
35 >>
36 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=4
37 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622
40 > I don't see why use other tool. Etc-update works great...
41 > I've been using it since my first Gentoo install 2 years ago and never
42 > needed (neither bothered looking for) this other tools you mentioned.
45 I have tried the other tools and they are not any better. The biggest
46 thing, no matter what tool you use, is to be VERY careful what you
47 update. For me, about 95% of the stuff is fine but that 5% can keel you
48 or make you wish you were dead. O_O
49
50 Dale
52 --