From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 20:44:20
1 On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:19:30 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 08:30:48 -0500, »Q« wrote:
5 >
6 > > > > > That's because kdm is dead. I found sddm a little flakey. On
7 > > > > > my laptop it works more or less as expected, but on my
8 > > > > > desktop, selecting reboot or power off from the desktop drops
9 > > > > > me back to sddm without rebooting. I'm nit sure if this is an
10 > > > > > issue with sddm or plasma, maybe I'll try slim instead.
11 > > >
12 > > > > SDDM was doing that to me too until I created a default
13 > > > > config.
14 > > >
15 > > > That appears to have worked, thanks.
16 > >
17 > > I have a default config, but I can't reboot or shutdown from sddm.
18 > > If I press one of those buttons, a 30-second timer starts.
19 > > Pressing more buttons to try to skip the timer just restarts the
20 > > timer. Letting the timer run down, it gets to zero then goes
21 > > beyond, into negative integers.
22 >
23 > That's a different problem, mine was that I couldn't reboot or
24 > shutdown fro the desktop, it dropped me back as sddm as if I'd
25 > selected Logout. Then I could shutdown from sddm.
26
27 Thanks -- I understood you the first time but had forgotten what you
28 said by the time I replied downthread. D'oh!
29
30 My automatically-created sddm.conf has
31
32 [General]
33 HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -h -P now
34 Numlock=none
35 RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now
36
37 which looks alright to me. I'll try troubleshooting this later, but if
38 anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them any time.