From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does this drive need a funeral?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 19:59:52
1 On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
4 > Well, it was in my brothers winders rig.  Winders couldn't do anything but
5 > puke on the keyboard so I brought it down here and put it in my old Linux
6 > rig.  I mounted it ro and got the data off it FIRST THING.  There was a
7 > boatload of pictures from their camera.  Anyway, the data seems to be safe
8 > tho a few may have gotten messed up.  I got to test that in a bit.
9 >
10 > Is this terminal or can something be done to correct this?  I did run the dd
11 > command before I ran the selftest.
12
13 Normally, you can extract a little more life out of the drive, but
14 it's on its last legs. At work, I was once stuck using a drive that
15 failed on me three times. Each time, it happened to be in the
16 hibernate.sys file, which meant the machine didn't wake up properly
17 each time the drive glitched. I was on that drive a few months before
18 it was finally replaced.
19
20 The trouble with that approach, though, is that you don't know when
21 the drive is going to glitch out, and it's more difficult to diagnose
22 other issues when it might be a strangely-corrupted file somewhere.
23
24 >  I don't think it matters but thought it
25 > wouldn't hurt either.  If it is terminal, I'll get my screwdriver out and
26 > see what these drives look like on the inside.  The last one I looked into
27 > was a old 14" thing many years ago.  Platters were about the size of 33 rpm
28 > records. lol  Dang I'm old.  O_O
29
30 I'm partial to percussive data destruction, myself. The steel platters
31 will even stop .45 ACP, but they don't stop any rifle round I've
32 tried. If you want to see what they look like, just look online. If
33 you want the magnets, I highly recommend K&J Magnetics.[1] I've done a
34 variety of fun craft projects with them.[2] :)
35
36 [1] http://www.kjmagnetics.com/Default.asp
37 [2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/28208534@N07/sets/72157620071707617/
40 :wq