From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:27:05
1 Gregory Shearman <zekeyg <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Both servers are running Gentoo Stable... therefore current kernels (for
5 > their architecture). Both have external HDD attached via USB.
6
7 Hey Greg,
8
9 If you just "reply" to the thread, we can keep one continuous
10 thread going in lieu of a new posting each time.
11
12 Let's just look at the Panda board. I have a first rev panda to
13 experiment with.
14
15 So a HDD via USB 2.0? fast enough for a Postgrsql database?
16 A bit more on the HDD setup (hardware) would be keen.
17 Did you ever try to run this on a straight USB stick and not
18 the performance difference?
21 > File systems: root filesystem is on an SDHC card (2nd partition). Other
22 > filesystems (except for the boot partition) are all on LVM. I have
23 > /usr/src, /usr/portage, /usr/portage/distfiles is a symlink to
24 > /var/www/localhost/gentoo/distfiles (another filesystem). I also have
25 > /var/tmp/portage on a separate filesystem and I also run a postgresql
26 > database server which also has its own partition on
27 > /var/lib/postgresql/≤version>. Both servers have the same setup as I'm
28 > currently in the process of replacing the sheevaplug with the panda.
29
30 Postgresql on a separate partition, nice idea. Do you aggresively
31 manage the PG server or is it just a recreational (light duty)
32 usage?
35 > Grub? There's no such thing on ARM machines. The kernel or uImage looks
36 > for the first partition on the configured root device (SDHC on my
37 > systems) the first partition MUST be VFAT (unfortunately) and it
38 > contains the u-boot bootloader and the kernel (uImage).
39
40 https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Grub2
41
42 https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Kernel/ACPI/AcpiOnArndaleUefi
43
44 > Kernels are built the same way as x86 kernels except you do
45 > "make uImage" instead of "make bzImage".
46
47 You Compile the kernels on a x86 host or compile them directly on
48 the Arm chip?
49
50 Then you put new kernels on the SD and swap those out to test/use
51 newer kernels on the Arm systems?
54 > LVM? All the above filesystems, except the root partition and the boot
55 > partition are LVM volumes. Filesystems are mostly Ext4 (very
56 > conventional).
57
58 What, no ZFS.....? Wait till Alan heards about this.....
59 Grub2 on ARM will allow many new file systems, and that
60 is the key issue with robust Arm servers, right now, imho.
61
62 > > Typical usage?
63
64 > Print server, database server, backups, webserver - which
65 > includes serving gentoo portage and distfiles to other machines
66 > on the network (THTTPD is a great minimal web server).
67
68 > > Any suggestions on setting up ARM servers, cluster,
69 > > and such are most welcome.
70
71 > ARM servers aren't much different to other servers but you must realise
72 > that these are low powered devices (the ones I run anyway) and aren't
73 > really suited to large loads. They especially suit a small business or
74 > home hobbyist environment. Even so, compiling Gentoo, especially on the
75 > Panda is not a problem and doesn't take forever (except for gcc
76 > updates ).
77
78 What does your make.conf look like on the panda?
79
80 > I suppose you could cluster a number of these devices but I think it
81 > would be more efficient to use a more powerful server running servers as
82 > virtual machines.
85 No BTRFS or CEPH? (just teasing, but seriously....)
86
87 http://armservers.com/tag/ceph/
88 http://www.inktank.com/calxeda/
89
90 I posted previously on some Arm (A15) based systems, you may want to
91 look at for your next arm server, recently. Many have SATA 3 interfaces.
92
93 If you look at the ARM installation (handbook) docs, it is need of a
94 re_vamping. I'm certain that folks would appreciate your
95 participation in the modernization of the ARM handbook, via the
96 Gentoo wiki. The Gentoo wiki is your (ARM) friend....
97
98 I'm very happy, you are sharing your (ARM) gentoo experiences herein.
101 James