From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:17:20
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:45:04 +0100
4 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:46:42 -0500, Fabio wrote:
7 >
8 > > Well, when I started with Gentoo Linux almost a year ago, I emerged
9 > > --sync more than twice per week. I never experimented any damage or
10 > > error.
11 >
12 > I have a system here that rsyncs with three other computers every hour
13 > and the disk is still good after several years, so the traffic
14 > from a paltry portage sync should do nothing but give the disk a
15 > little healthy exercise.
16
17 I like this theory. I think bad blocks on HD's (and I guess noone here
18 is talking about flash disks or writable DVD media) occur almost
19 independent of usage. So if bad blocks occur, there might be a big
20 chance that it happens in a portage sync simply because there's a lot
21 of file writing/deleting and thus there's a bigger chance that it
22 happens in that moments. If that was true, it is likely that the errors
23 hit portage's files with a probability that corresponds to the
24 percentage of sync (and due to the "test": emerge) I/O vs. general IO.
25 On a gentoo system, there's probably a lot of disk I/O simply because
26 of portage. This might explain why there's that feeling that a sync
27 might hurt.
28
29 And, the good side of things: If this theory holds valid, the errors
30 are likely to hit portage -- not all that bad, a resync and
31 everything's fine again :-) The harddisk will cure the problem by
32 allocating spare sectors (as long as available).
33
34 -hwh
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list